Event debrief: The Boggy Macula: A masterclass for Optometrists and GPs
We were sold out! Almost 30 Optometrists and Gps joined our event on “The boggy macular” held by Professor Michel Michaelides on June 22nd.
Inherited Retinal Diseases Specialist Michel Michaelides explained the Boggy macula.
The presentation covered the following points:
- Retinal anatomy and function will be discussed with particular attention to the macula
- Macular structural and functional specialisation will be explained
- Clinical examination, retinal imaging, and functional testing will be discussed with respect to the Macula
- A broad range of causes of Macular Swelling will be discussed including Diabetes Mellitus, Central Serous Retinopathy, AMD, Inflammation, Inherited Retinal Disease, and Post-operative (e.g. Cataract)
- Current and emerging treatment modalities will be discussed including topical, oral, intravitreal and sub-retinal delivery
Age-related macular degeneration (AMD) is the most common cause of blindness in people over 65 in industrialised countries. AMD affects the central part of the retina, called the macula.
In this video Michel Michaelides explains what test you will require for age-related macular degeneration: