Language: English EN
Book a Consultation Book Now

Do adults and children get the same allergy treatment?

Children are more likely to get food allergies and allergies to milk than adults

Milk allergy is the abnormal response of a child’s immune system to milk and related products.
It is very common in children. It is one of the most common food allergies. The symptoms include wheezing, vomiting, skin hives and digestive problems. Milk allergy can occasionally cause a life-threatening reaction called anaphylaxis.
Fortunately, children outgrow milk allergy. The most effective approach is prevention: making sure they avoid drinks containing milk and other milk-related products.
It’s important to be aware that there is a difference between milk allergy and milk intolerance.
Milk allergy is different from intolerance, which is an upset caused by protein and lactose, not a triggering of the immune system to produce antibodies.
If your child is experiencing allergy symptoms shortly after consuming milk, you should see the dermatologist to find out more. Food allergy affects up to 8% of children under the age of 3, but only affects about 3% of adults. There is no cure for food allergies, but fortunately most children grow out of them as they get older.

Role of the dermatologist and food allergy

Adults with a food allergy may require specific treatment and Dr Jennifer Crawley will be pleased to advise on this. The foods that most commonly cause an allergic reaction in adults are nuts, shellfish and fish. Children can also be allergic to nuts but are more likely to have a bad reaction to milk products or eggs.
Pollen-food syndrome, also known as oral allergy syndrome, is a separate condition affecting mainly adults who are allergic to certain fresh foods and vegetables, or to nuts and spices. It triggers an allergic reaction that can cause their mouth to tingle and even their throat to swell.
There are risk factors for food allergies, including family history, having other allergies, age (as children get it more often) and whether you are atopic, meaning that you have a genetic tendency to develop allergies, such as asthma.
We take food allergy very seriously because it can cause a life-threatening reaction called anaphylaxis. It may also cause a skin reaction such as eczema or atopic dermatitis, for which you will need the help of Dr Jennifer Crawley.
Dr Crawley is a child and adult dermatologist who works at Clinica London seeing patients privately. She is fee assured with all the private medical insurance companies and will see self-funding patients as well.
Mr Sajjad Ahmad is our ocular surface ophthalmologist who specialises in ocular allergy in children from 7 years up and for adults. He is also fee assured with all the private medical insurance companies. The cost for a non-insured patient for consultation is £250. If you would like to make an appointment, call Lizzie Granger or Jenny Burrows on 020-7935-7990.
If you do not know what type of allergy you have, you should see Dr Jennifer Crawley if your skin itches, and Mr Sajjad Ahmad if your eyes are irritated, to discuss allergy. You may see both specialists.


Book a Consultation Book Now