Professor Michel Michaelides
BSc MB BS MD(Res) FRCOphth FACS
Medical Retina & Inherited Retinal Disease Specialist
Professor Michaelides is a world-leading clinician and researcher into inherited and non-inherited retinal diseases (in both adults and children). Patients travel from all over the globe to see him in order for him to diagnose and advise on their specific retinal disease.
He is an experienced expert, for all genetic eye diseases, diabetic retinopathy, age-related macular degeneration (AMD), macula oedema, venous and arterial retinal occlusions, eye floaters and flashing lights. He carries out eye injections for the treatment of AMD, diabetic retinopathy and vascular occlusions.
BASIC SELF PAY CONSULTATION FEES
Professor Michaelides is a fee assured consultant for BUPA.
Patients insured with other insurance companies can only be seen by Professor Michaelides as self-paying patients.
Areas of Expertise
- Medical retinal diseases, including age related macular degeneration (AMD), diabetic retinopathy, macula oedema, floaters and flashing lights from posterior vitreous detachment (PVD).
- Inherited retinal diseases, including retinitis pigmentosa, Stargardt disease, Leber congenital amaurosis (LCA), cone dystrophies.
- Paediatric retinal ophthalmology.
- 1st Class BSC Intercalated Pharmacology (Kings College London) 1994
- MB BS (King’s College London) 1997
- MRCOphth 2001
- MD (University College London) 2004
- FRCOphth 2008
- FACS (Fellow American College of Surgeons) 2012
Achievements and Awards
International guest scholar, American College of Surgeons, 2010
Department of Health/HEFCE ‘new blood’ senior lectureship award, 2010
Foundation Fighting Blindness (USA) career development award 2011, a career development award– an award which is rarely given to non-US applicants.
Elected to Membership of the Macula Society in the USA, 2013
Elected to Membership of the Retina Society in the USA, 2015
Elected to Membership of the American Society of Retinal Specialists, 2019
Granted over £8 million to undertake research into retinal disease, 2010 to present
- Fellow, Royal College of Ophthalmologists, London
- Fellow of the American College of Surgeons
- American Academy of Ophthalmology
- Association for Research in Vision & Ophthalmology
- European Society of Retina Specialists
- European Paediatric Ophthalmological Society
- The British Eye Study Group
- The Macula Society
- The Retina Society
- The American Society of Retina Specialists
Treatments and Procedures
- AMD Treatment
- Diabetic Retinopathy Treatment
- Inherited Retinal Diseases
- Red Eye Treatment
- Dry Eyes Treatment
- Corneal Abrasions