Professor Michel Michaelides
BSc MB BS MD(Res) FRCOphth FACS
Professor of Ophthalmology
Medical Retina & Inherited Retinal Disease Specialist
Professor Michaelides is a world-leading clinician and researcher into inherited and non-inherited retinal diseases (in both adults and children). Patients travel from all over the globe to see him in order for him to diagnose and advise on their specific retinal disease.
He is an experienced expert, for all genetic eye diseases, diabetic retinopathy, age-related macular degeneration (AMD), macula oedema, venous and arterial retinal occlusions, eye floaters and flashing lights. He carries out eye injections for the treatment of AMD, diabetic retinopathy and vascular occlusions.
Professor Michel Michaelides is also an expert in all general adult and paediatric ophthalmology conditions. He sees patients with all general eye problems.
BASIC SELF PAY CONSULTATION FEES
Adult Retina £350
Paediatric Retina £400
All General Ophthalmology £250
All International Patients £400
Professor Michaelides is a fee assured consultant for all major insurance companies except AXA/PPP.
Patients insured with AXA/PPP can only be seen by Professor Michaelides as self-paying patients.
Areas of Expertise
- Medical retinal diseases, including age related macular degeneration (AMD), diabetic retinopathy, macula oedema, floaters and flashing lights from posterior vitreous detachment (PVD).
- Inherited retinal diseases, including retinitis pigmentosa, Stargardt disease, Leber congenital amaurosis (LCA), cone dystrophies.
- Paediatric retinal ophthalmology.
- 1st Class BSC Intercalated Pharmacology (Kings College London) 1994
- MB BS (King’s College London) 1997
- MRCOphth 2001
- MD (University College London) 2004
- FRCOphth 2008
- FACS (Fellow American College of Surgeons) 2012
Achievements and Awards
- International guest scholar, American College of Surgeons, 2010
- Department of Health/HEFCE ‘new blood’ senior lectureship award, 2010
- Foundation Fighting Blindness (USA) career development award 2011, a career development award– an award which is rarely given to non-US applicants.
- Elected to Membership of the Macula Society in the USA, 2013
- Elected to Membership of the Retina Society in the USA, 2015
- Elected to Membership of the American Society of Retinal Specialists, 2019
- Granted over £8 million to undertake research into retinal disease, 2010 to present
- Fellow, Royal College of Ophthalmologists, London
- Fellow of the American College of Surgeons
- American Academy of Ophthalmology
- Association for Research in Vision & Ophthalmology
- European Society of Retina Specialists
- European Paediatric Ophthalmological Society
- The British Eye Study Group
- The Macula Society
- The Retina Society
- The American Society of Retina Specialists
Treatments and Procedures
- AMD Treatment
- Diabetic Retinopathy Treatment
- Inherited Retinal Diseases
- Red Eye Treatment
- Dry Eyes Treatment
- Corneal Abrasions
- General Eye Checks
- Urgent eye emergency e.g change of vision or loss of vision