Mr Greg Richardson
BMedSci (Hons), MMedSci
Specialist in Paediatric, Adult and Neuro-Orthoptics.
Greg studied Orthoptics at The University of Sheffield qualifying in 2008. He subsequently undertook a master’s degree in Vision and Strabismus, also at The University of Sheffield. He is a specialist in eye movement disorders, amblyopia and vision development.
He has over 10 years of experience working in all aspects of paediatric and adult orthoptics, with a particular interest in neuro-orthoptics.
Greg has also worked as a researcher in the glaucoma research unit at Moorfields Eye Hospital and the department of visual neuroscience at University College London, where he investigated the quality of life in patients with vision loss.
Greg was one of the first Orthoptists in the world to undertake a further qualification in medical exemptions, allowing him to use supply medication for investigation and management of conditions within his scope of practice.
Greg’s current NHS practice is as Head Orthoptist at The Royal Berkshire Hospital in Reading, and the Prince Charles Eye Unit in Windsor.
BASIC SELF PAY CONSULTATION FEES
Initial or Follow up: £125
International Initial or follow up: £125
Visual Fields: £125
Greg sees patients as a fee assured consultant with all the private medical insurance companies.
Mr Richardson accepts orthoptic referrals from all consultant ophthalmologists, neurologists, neuro-surgeons, hospital paediatricians, community paediatricians, developmental paediatricians, community orthoptists, General Practitioners (GP) and optometrists. It is recommended that self-referrals first get a letter from their GP or a referring medical professional.
Areas of Expertise
- Children’s visual development
- Amblyopia (lazy eye)
- Strabismus (squint)
- Diplopia (double vision)
- Eye movement abnormalities
- Visual field analysis
- BMedSci (Hons) Orthoptics, University of Sheffield
- MMedSci Vision and Strabismus, University of Sheffield
- Postgraduate qualification in Medical Exemptions, University of Sheffield
- Professional Certificate in Glaucoma, City University of London
Achievements and Awards
- Clinical Lead for Orthoptics and Optometry, Royal Berkshire Hospital
- Chair of the Ophthalmology Clinical Governance Committee, Royal Berkshire Hospital 2020-present
- BIOS Southern Region Committee London Representative 2009-2013
- Barts Health Heroes Team Award for Paediatric Ophthalmology Service 2020
- British and Irish Orthoptic Society (BIOS)
- American Association of Pediatric Ophthalmology and Strabismus (AAPOS)
- International Orthoptic Associaton
Treatments and Procedures
- Vision assessment in children
- Eye motility assessment in children and adults
- Pre and post-operative strabismus (squint) assessment
- Binocular vision assessment
- Amblyopia (lazy eye) therapy in children
- Investigation and management of diplopia (double vision)
- Visual field assessment
- DVLA Visual Fields orthoptist