Mr Vijay Tailor
MSc, BSc (Hons)
Specialist in Paediatric and Adult Strabismus (squints)
Orthoptics is the measurement, diagnosis and treatment of eye movement defects and how the eyes move together, called binocular vision. Vijay is an advanced private Orthoptist. He works closely with Ms Naz Raoof, the Consultant Paediatric and Neuro-ophthalmologist at Clinica. He sees both children and adults. His main focus is in vision development, nystagmus, genetics and myopia management.
His initial training was in Orthoptics at the University of Liverpool. He completed a Masters in Clinical Ophthalmology at University College London and is now working to complete his PhD in Experimental Psychology. He works in the NHS at Moorfields Eye Hospital in clinical and research orthoptics.
His vast orthoptic knowledge base enables him to provide a fully rounded experience for all his patients, who often have complex eye conditions. He tailors his examination and management to the capabilities on the patient.
Vijay is part of the Orthoptic teaching team at Moorfields Eye Hospital and supports undergraduate Orthoptic training. He is preparing lectures for a new Masters in Orthoptics course. He has also helped deliver courses in Children’s Vision.
BASIC SELF PAY CONSULTATION FEES
Initial or follow up: £100
International Initial or follow up: £125
Visual Fields: £100
Vijay sees patients as a fee assured consultant with all the private medical insurance companies.
Mr Tailor accepts orthoptic referrals from all consultant ophthalmologists, neurologists, neuro-surgeons, hospital paediatricians, community paediatricians, developmental paediatricians, community orthoptists, General Practitioners (GP) and optometrists. It is recommended that self-referrals first get a letter from their GP or a referring medical professional.
Areas of Expertise
- Strabismus (squints)
- Amblyopia (reduced or lazy vision)
- Eye-tracking (two eyes working together)
- Nystagmus (wobbly eyes)
- Vision development in children
- Visual field testing
- BSc (Hons) Orthoptics, The University of Liverpool
- MSc Clinical Ophthalmology, University College London
Achievements and Awards
- ARVO international travel award 2008
- Leadership and management masterclass, Mini MBA, Royal Society of Medicine 2011
- VSS international travel award 2020
- Elected Staff Governor of Moorfields Eye Hospital 2021
- British and Irish Orthoptic Society
- Fellow of the Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology (ARVO)
- British Isles Paediatric and Strabismus Society (BIPOSA)
- The UK Eye Genetics Group (UK EGG)
- Health Care Professions Council (HCPC)
Treatments and Procedures
- Vision and eye motility assessment in children and adults
- Pre and post-operative assessment strabismus (squint)
- Binocular vision assessment
- Myopia assessment and treatment
- Management of double vision
- Visual field analysis
- DVLA visual fields