Mr Sajjad Ahmad
MBBS, FRCOphth, phD
Consultant Ophthalmic Surgeon
Cornea & External Eye Diseases, Cataract, Keratoconus & Refractive Surgery Specialist
Mr Ahmad is not just a highly skilled clinician, but he is a scientist at the same time. He specialises in managing diseases of the front of the eye, affecting the eyelid margins, the tear film, the eye surface conjunctiva and the cornea.
He was awarded a PhD in stem cell biology from Newcastle University in 2007 for his work on developing a novel stem cell therapy for corneal burns, which he is now successfully applying on patients who have lost their vision due to chemical burns.
His mix of research and clinical experience has been vital to translate some of his laboratory research findings into the treatment of debilitating eye diseases of the cornea and the ocular surface. He is known as an expert in inflammatory eye diseases of the cornea and conjunctiva.
BASIC SELF PAY CONSULTATION FEES
Follow up £200
International Follow up £250
Mr Ahmad sees patients as a fee assured consultant for all private medical insurance companies.
Areas of Expertise
Ophthalmologist specializing in:
- Ocular surface, blepharitis, severe dry eyes, and corneal inflammatory disease
- Keratoconus and other refractive eye problems,
- Ocular surface / corneal / anterior eye segment surgical reconstruction
- Corneal transplantation
- Stem cell transplantation
- Cataract surgery
Mr. Ahmad did his medical student training at Newcastle University Medical School, qualifying in 1997, and completed his general medicine physician training in Newcastle. He undertook ophthalmology training in Newcastle upon Tyne from 2000-2010 and during this he took time out to do his PhD in stem cell biology at the Institute of Human Genetics in Newcastle.
After his scientific research Mr Ahmad returned to clinical work and undertook two specialist corneal fellowships, at St Paul’s Eye Unit (Liverpool) in 2011 and Moorfield’s Eye Hospital (London) in 2012.
Achievements and Awards
- International Tear Film and Ocular Surface Society (TFOS) Award 2004
- US-UK Stem Cell Collaboration Award 2008
- Developed a culture system for human corneal epithelial stem cells that researchers have successfully used in national clinical trials
- UK chief investigator for a new European clinical trial for corneal stem cells transplantation.
- NIHR Academic Clinical Lecturer
- Fellow of the Royal College of Ophthalmologists (UK)
- European Society for Cataract and Refractive Surgeons
- Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology
Treatments and Procedures
‘Mr Ahmad’s speciality is in corneal graft transplants including endothelial keratoplasty (DMEK/DSAEK) for corneal endothelial cell failure. He is also a specialist in laser refractive surgery such as corneal crosslinking for keratoconus, amniotic membrane and stem cell transplants for severe conjunctival and corneal limbal disease.
Mr Ahmad also treats patients with severe dry eyes, cataracts, chemical burns, graft versus host disease and allergic eye disease.’
- Corneal Transplantation
- Keratoconus Assessment
- Corneal collagen cross-linking treatment
- General Ophthalmology
- Allergic Eye Disease Treatment
- Dry Eyes Treatment
Dry Eye Disease and its treatment
- Treatment of Aqueous deficiency dry eye disease (ADDED)
- Treatment of Evaporative dry eye disease (EDED)
- Allergic Eye Disease and its treatment
- Deep anterior lamellar keratoplasty (DALK) in keratoconus
- DSAEK or DMEK corneal transplants