Event debrief: Eyelids and Tears: A Masterclass for Optometrists and GPs
Nearly 30 optometrists and GPs attended our last healthcare professionals lecture held Thursday, 25 February 2016 from 18:00 to 19:30 (GMT): “Eyelids and Tears: A Masterclass for Optometrists and GPs”.
During the interactive event, expert Oculoplastic Surgeon Jane Olver discussed topics related to eyelids and tears, including:
- When to refer patients with eyelid tumours and chalazia
- Mohs micrographic reconstruction
- When to investigate droopy eyelids ptosis
- Eyelid hooding and its effect on visual fields and driving.
- Medical indications and surgery (blepharoplasty with Tisseel fibrin adhesive)
- An introduction to TearFill, HyaloFix, SculptEyes, Watering eyes and endoscopic DCR
- Bulgy eyes with swelling, thyroid eye disease, cellulitis, orbital tumours and masses
One of the most common conditions we treat is chalazia. During this lecture, Ms Olver explained what a chalazion is and what it is not, and how eyecare professionals (optometrists) and general practictions can spot them. She also explained how they can differentiate them from something more serious.